Finally, just before Christmas 2018 the Polar White/Lime Green KR-1 bodywork has been complete. This has been much more of a challenge than first expected and it would have been far easier and cheaper to find a fiberglass replica fairing and slap on the gold, black, green and white graphics with an airbrush.
It was a real struggle trying to find decals that perfectly matched the original Polar White/Lime Green colour scheme. The positive was having all of the green bodywork with a mudguard from the UK, fairing from Japan and side covers and seat from Australia.
The bodywork has finally been collected for paint. Hopefully we'll get the decals printed this week and start the paintwork early next week. Remanufacturing the missing fairing parts has been the most fun. You'll notice images that show the reproduced areas welded back on.
If yesterday wasn’t spent plastic welding it was rummaging around finding more bodywork to complete the Green KR-1 B2. The old B1 (that will end up firecracker Red) was dressed up to see if everything fits where it should. The old stickers were also removed. It’s getting closer and closer to having paint so make sure you register and click on “follow” if you want to see all of the updates.
Just about every bike that rolls in for restoration has damaged plastics. You’ll almost be guaranteed to find at least one of your side covers having broken plastic studs. There are heaps of techniques you can use but today we had access to a dental composite material (Protemp 4) that’s used for making crowns and bridges.
These products are not easily accessible, the job is probably well over engineered and not a cheap option but the concept will be applicable if you can source materials that have similar properties.
We managed to land a genuine second hand Kawasaki KR-1 Cowling (Part 550285431M9 - this is the code for the Green and White one). Now that it's arrived it's become apparent that the after market sticker kit color match is a little off. More decisions to make in terms of a color scheme for the green machine!
We've been trying to get paint codes for the Green 1989 KR-1. We've got our hands on a sticker kit and hoping to get these colors matched up. Another aim will be to get a match on the gold calipers. Thank goodness we've not glass bead blasted the ones we have :)