You are here

1979 Yamaha RD200DX "Ru"

Picked up the old girl from the back of someone's garage where it had sat for 19+ years.
Plan is to get her back on the road. Not a show queen, but a bike with a story to tell and a bit home grown!

Front Mudguard

The original chrome mudguard on the front of this bike had suffered the same sort of rust damage that the rear mudguard had... IE, it was trashed. It was still perfectly solid, but the chrome finish was almost no-where to be seen across the majority of it, and it looked awful even after a cleanup with tinfoil, wirewool and autosol!

Then, I got lucky! A spare mudguard came up on eBay on the cheap, it was painted silved, but it wasn't all pitted and awful looking like the original, so it was worth a shot!

Parts Worked On: 

  • Bodywork

Rear Mudguard + Light

Ideally, the rear mudguard needs to be re-chromed, as the chromework on it currently is LONG shot.

Still, I attacked it with tinfoil and water and a bit of fine wire wool and turned the rust into a more matt and smooth finish to look a ittle les... you know... Shit. ;)

The underside had just started to rust badly also, so I opted to attack it with a wirebrush to remove the loose rust and then give it a decent coat of black Hammerite to stop the rust continuing to spread!

Parts Worked On: 

  • Bodywork

Panels and Tank

Short and simple job this one, not all that necessary, but I was bored one evening and decided to polish these bits up whilst they were off the bike!

Just a simple bit of Autoglym Super resin Polish for the paintwork side of things, and for the petrol cap chrome, the cap was scrubbed with tinfoil and water and then Autosol chrome polish was used... quite the difference to all of it, even if not all of the photos show it!

Parts Worked On: 

  • Bodywork

Exhausts

Luckily, despite the large amounts of surface rust, the exhausts were solid.

I'd heard of a trick involving coca cola and tin/aluminum foil to remove rust, and thought this was as good a time as any to give it a try... I certainly had nothing to lose, as the chrome on these was waaaaaay past it's best!

Turns out it's a bit of a miricale trick!

Parts Worked On: 

  • Exhaust

Carburetors

The carbs woud obviously need some love. One fuel pipe had been left connected to one carb for the period of time it had been sat, and as a result, the inside of the float bowl was a wonderful mess!

The other carb however, was sparkling clean inside and not a mark to be found, so at least that halved the cleaning work I had to do!!

Gave the outsides of the carbs a quick clean, but didn't waste any time making them look pretty. Function over form for the msot part with this bike!

Parts Worked On: 

  • Carburetor

Top End Work

Pretty much the first thing tackled in this project was the top end. Incredibly, it was not seized, but I daren't kick it over after it had sat bone dry for so many years.

Once the heads, barrels and pistons were off, the conrods were checked for play and appeared to be all good. I didn't really want to have to strip the bottom end unless absolutely necessary.

Parts Worked On: 

  • Engine, Cylinder Head

How She Started...

Bit of an introductory post for this little thing...

I was at work and happened to have a local adverts site open on my lunch break, I wasn't really looking to buy anything, but you know how it is, just seeing what's about!

Anyhow, I just so happened to refresh the page at the exact moment this little RD was listed up. there was very little info on the listing besides a couple of low resolution pictures and a price marked at £50. Whatever state it was in, this was a bargain even in parts alone.